During last several decades the world ecological system has seen sever and multiple damages. If we look at the climatic changes, deteriorating soil fertility, ground water pollution, soil degradation, nutritional deficiencies in food, biodiversity, biological cycles, soil biological activities and numerous health related issues.
Common man relates all these disturbances to one or the other factor. Whereas the scientists, research people and the policy makers are actually responsible to look into the causes of these ecological changes find out the solutions for this regular deteriorating situation. ..
One school of thought attributes all these imbalances to nature because of population influx and the other to rapid industrial growth. No doubts these two are highly considerable factors but one should never ignore introduction of Chemical fertilizer, as well as chemical pesticide. Chemical fertilizers have contributed significantly to the agriculture field, which lead to land, air, and water pollution.
These synthetic fertilizers have many harmful effects on human beings and environment. Major part of fertilizers when applied in the soil is washed off and ends up in the water table. These fertilizers may accumulate on the ground causing problems like water logging and salinity if not controlled and affect human health, especially if high concentrations of toxic substances found in them seep into the groundwater which may be used for drinking. These toxic metals also affect the liver and kidneys and are a cause of miscarriage in pregnant women. In very high amounts or due to chronic exposure, cancer may also develop.
MAJOR THREATS OF CHEMICAL FERTILIZER TO OUR ECOLOGICAL IMBALANCE
· Present farming system is continuously reducing organic matter from the soil, resultantly; the fertility of the soil is on decline.
· Excessive use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides has become hazardous to nature and invited multiple types of diseases to human health which were not common earlier.
· Most chemical fertilizers are made from non-renewable resources such as cola or natural gas. What’s more, they pollute ground water—the very water we drink—and make our food less healthy, especially for kids who are most affected by chemical residues.
· Continuous and excessive use of chemical fertilizer over last 4 decade has eliminated friendly insects and effective microbes from the soil which has disturbed the natural cycle of decomposition of organic matter in the fields.
· Ist August 1989 about two decade before an American Institute “Save the Children” presented a 92 pages report to the Secretary Agriculture of America. In this report it has been stated with great concern that we should reduce the application of chemical fertilizers on the soils to save the human life on the earth.
· It has been further stated in this report that multiple inborn child diseases are being promoted through the world, mainly due to the usage of chemical fertilizers.
· Conventional agriculture using synthetic fertilizers is depleting our soils of the organic matter essential to feeding the microorganisms that recycle nutrients within the soil.
MAJOR BENEFITS OF ORGANIC SYSTEM OF FARMING
· Organic agriculture protects the health of people and the plants by reducing the overall exposure to toxic chemicals and from synthetic pesticides that can end up in the ground, air, water and food supply.
· Worldwide, organic farming helps prevent topsoil erosion, improves soil fertility, protects ground water and conserves energy.
· Organic agriculture minimizes children’s exposure to toxic and persistent pesticides in the food they eat, the water they drink, the soil in which they play and the air they breathe.
· Growing crops in healthy, pure soil results in foods that offer healthy nutrients. There is substantial evidence that organically grown fruits and vegetables and grains offer more some nutrients such as vitamin and iron, magnesium and phosphorous.
· Organic agriculture builds the health of the soil. Providing the foundation for healthy crops and a livelihood for good haris of the land. Organic standards require producers to use organic agricultural methods and materials. These standards cover soil fertility, application of manure, crop rotation and composting. These same standards prohibit the use of municipal solid waste and sewage sludge as compost ingredients.
· Because organic practices help safeguard the environment and protect habitats, organic production conserves and promotes species diversity.
· Organic agriculture respects the balance of micro organisms in the soil. Organic producers use composted manure and other materials as well as crop rotation, to help improve soil fertility, rather than use synthetic fertilizers that can result in over burdened of the nitrogen and phosphorous in the ground.
· More than 40% of the American population is being provided with organic food. So the trend for the provision of organic food is on increase.
These are some important concerns we believe must be known to the masses in general and organizations like yours in particular and we expect the institution like yours must come up to support the efforts of M/s Higo Organic (Pvt) Ltd and spread this technology though out Pakistan even in the rest of the world to save the generation to come and protect the ecological disaster.
Higo organic (Pvt) Ltd is working for the promotion of organic farming from last several years and shifted hundred of farmers from conventional farming to organic farming in KPK and some parts of Punjab in Pakistan.
Higo Organic (Pvt) Ltd after continuous research of over 05 years had succeeded to produce a balance organic fertilizer through anaerobic composting technique. Preferably we use animal manure which is more enriched with organic matter, macro and micro nutrients. Higo Organic Plus proved over last few years to be a good and economical alternative of all types of chemical fertilizers. This is equally good for cereal crops, vegetables, fruit plants and home gardening.
We strongly believe that promotion of this technology will not only save billion dollar foreign exchange of the country which is being utilized for importing chemical fertilizers and pesticides rather will exploit the indigenous resources and protect the natural environment for the generation to come.
Your feedback on the topic will further strengthen our morale.
The writer is a permanent contributor to Agriculture Corner
Shaikh Shafqat Ellahi
Incoming search terms:
- organic farming in pakistan
- organic farming in punjab
- organic farming in pakistan punjab
- em technology in pakistan
- how to register an agricultural farm in pakistan
- list of organic farming associations groups in Pakistan
- articles on organic farming in pakistan
- organic farming professional in pakistan
- organic farming in punjab pakistan
- news for the organic farming in pakistan